Friday, December 19, 2008

Inversion therapy

I was brought up to consider all of my actions on the basis of what's known as the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
But my dad had another perspective to overlay the Rule: when you're trying to consider a situation, event, remark, or pretty much anything in human interaction, try reversing the positions of the people involved. If A does X to B, is it proper for B to do X to A?
That kind of inversion has a great deal of utility now in the times of Presidential transition in shedding light upon the derailment of civil discourse in the discussion of President G.W. Bush.
The shoe-throwing incident in Baghdad, Iraq this past week could hardly have been a better illustration of how wrong the apprehension of Bush has been.
We've been deluged with news media reports of celebratory responses to the news of the shoe assault. No doubt that happened, to some degree. Perhaps even to a somewhat considerable degree. But it hasn't been anything like the universal sentiment that has been portrayed.
While beyond the comprehension of the Bush-hating news media, much of the world has been dismayed by the assault. And that's what it was, in reality: an assault upon a lawful head of state. Despite the insistence by thousands of unhappy Americans declaring the Bush "isn't my president", the real-world fact is that he is the President of the United States, and an attack upon him is still an attack upon a head of state.
The none-too-great lethality of the attack is of some import, but not as much as the basic fact: The Chief Executive of the US was assaulted.
Fine, now let's apply my dad's inversion therapy, updated for 21st Century American politics.
If an "enraged" Iraqi journalist, devasted over the desolation of his destroyed country after President Obama precipitously removes the American military despite the Iraqi (and world's) asking that they stay long enough to complete securing the victory acheived in mid-2008, beans Obama with his footwear, will that be a happy, even hilarious chuckle moment for the same folks who are displaying such unconcern, if not outright pleasure, for the same thing being perpetrated against Bush?
The obvious other flipper is to look at what happened to the thrower, who now, not incidentally, has apologized for his juvenile behavior (hear about that on CNN? The Trib's front page? Thought not.). His arms were not pulled out. His genitals were not removed with a torch. His eyes are still in their sockets and fully operational. And his wife was not raped and dismembered in front of him by a dozen Iraqi soldiers.
In fact, he was simply taken into a functional legal system and is going through the process, as he no doubt knew in advance would happen.
He knew he wouldn't be harmed. He knew he'd be fine.
He, better than practically anything else on the front pages, showed that we'd won, and the war against Iraq was over.
So the cacklers are going to go whistling right past the obvious: the "war" is over. The good guys won.
And George Bush just laughed at yet another crazed assault upon the guy who made the assault survivable.

4 comments:

  1. My experience with Inversion Therapy has literally saved my life. In 2004 I had to have a spinal surgery due to a herniated L4/L5 disc. It was bulging for years but it finally burst in O4. 22 Months after that my back was still stiff and tight, my sciatica still remained and my legs felt weak and shaky. A friend of mine who had been fighting his own back injuries from sports turned me onto inversion therapy. I got an inversion rack delivered to my home and after just the first inversion therapy session I could immediately feel the muscles of my thighs, hips, butt and especially my abs begin to stretch out as the spasms were broken up by the effects of gravity. As my abs relaxed and loosened they released their grip on my back muscles and as they relaxed they released their grip on my lower spine and pelvis and as that happened my pelvis and lower back could then go back into their natural state of alignment. When the pelvis is in alignment then every thing is straight and true and as a result sciatica is eliminated and essentially cured. No chiropractor wrenching on my spine or masseuse helped. They don't address the roots of back pain which as I said are knots in the core muscles and most prominently the abs. Now, if I feel a little tightness in my core muscles I simply strap on the gravity boots and hang upside down for a few minutes and that alone gets me back in a pain free state and I am free to carry on with my day. Inversion Therapy really was a Godsend for me and if you have sciatica and bad back pain it could certainly work for you too. Take care all and Happy New Year!
    http://www.onlinehealthmart.net/index.php?c=27

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for you, politically. It must be hard to walk around so amazingly blind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're still having problems with your back then you'll find 10-15 minutes a day of inversion therapy will usually help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing.. inverted chair

    ReplyDelete